Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Origin of "KonaKarin"

In 2005 I returned to IM New Zealand after finishing the race 1 min. 40 sec. AFTER midnight the year before.  There was a glitch in the arm band distribution and I stopped to check where I was to get one (They ran out!) and lost time.  An official wrote down my race #.  After I missed the midnight cut-off, Ken Glah presented me with his Finisher's Medal and made me feel like a winner!  Later, when reports were turned in, the Race Director offered me an entry to the following year's Ironman over the arm band glitch as there was a record of the delay.  So, back I went the next year, on my own, rented a car after flying all night and drove to the race site (a bit hairy since they drive on the left in NZ)!  Well, I finished the race officially this time, won the age group and qualified for Kona... gave Ken back his medal from the year before.  Some friends ended up painting (washable paint) my rental vehicle with M-Dot's and the words, "Kona Karin!"... and the nickname stuck!  They continue to call me Kona Karin.  So, that's how I acquired the nickname.

No comments:

Post a Comment