Friday, April 25, 2014

Week 4 1/2 Post Surgery

Week 4 1/2 (post-surgery):

Appt. with orthopedic surgeon - new x-rays taken which showed that the titanium plate and 7 screws were still in place and neatly lined up.  The doctor said in about a week or so, I can periodically take my arm out of the sling and begin doing gentle range-of-motion movements (such as pendulum swings, reaching down to the floor, raising my arm up using the assistance of my left hand).  As he had me do this, it really pulled/ached in my shoulder area.  He said this was stiffness from being immobilized in the sling for so long.  I wondered if it might be a rotator cuff issue, but he said possibly, but not probably.  The arm had to be immobilized so the clavicle could heal and it will be stiff initially.  He also suggested doing ROM in the pool.  Still, no driving until I have more movement in my right arm (motivation in itself)!  My husband is getting really tired of chauffeuring me around even though I try to schedule appointments in the afternoons so he can do his workouts in the mornings... and I'm getting tired of this lack of independence by having to rely on someone else to drive me!

Foot Update:

Finally was able to see the podiatrist who took more x-rays and also ordered an MRI.  He then took out his scalpel and sliced away at a thick callus that had built up on the bottom of my foot just below the little toe.  He said he sliced off 2 inches!... an exaggeration, but there was a pile of callus next to my foot.  It took years of cycling to build up that callus!... He also noted that my bursa was enlarged and thought that I probably had an infection in either the bursa or the callus.  X-rays and the MRI did not indicate a fracture nor soft tissue (tendon/ligament) issue but it did show bursitis.  The swelling is mostly gone in my foot but my skin is peeling like a snake!  I think I'm turning into a "reptile!"  Particularly bothersome is the peeling of the tough skin on the bottom of my foot exposing tender/sensitive tissue.  I have to let that toughen up and also protect it when I am out (with non-stick padding as any adhesive pulls more skin off).  I have to hold off going in the pool while the foot is healing but hopefully, in another week or so, I can return to walking and also go in the pool (good place to move my arm as well).

Occupying my Confining Time:

Housework - Since I cannot drive nor meaningfully walk right now (due to the foot issue), I have been housebound pretty much.  I have been doing housework (laundry, mopping/dusting with one hand, fixing meals and other daily activities that do take longer with my limitations although I am able to use my right hand now as long as I don't lift my arm much).  Actually, doing these chores makes me feel more normal plus I have all day to do them.

Reading - I think I'm on my 5th book now!... just finished, "What Makes Olga Run," (about a woman in her 90's who still competes in Track & Field)!... currently reading, "Unbroken," which is inspiring.  Angelina Jolie is directing the movie that will be released later this year.  It is the true story of Louis Zamporini who had been a track star and was taken hostage during WWII.

Wildlife Observer - Our house is next to a wild area and I have been enjoying the wildlife that appears regularly.  There is a group of deer that wander and also rest in the wild area.  I counted 12 the other day!  Also, the coyotes whoop it up usually during the night and/or early mornings.  I see them dashing across the golf course chasing each other playfully or after some prey (i.e., rabbit).  Sometimes I sit on the side of our house in the morning sunshine or put something on a chair there to dry.  When I went out there the other day, I glimpsed movement out of the corner of my eye and spotted a big "reddish" snake!  It heard me and slithered under the concrete base of our air conditioning unit (where pack rats have, in the past, developed a condominium complex).  I googled, "Snakes of Arizona," and found out that the snake is a "coach whip" (AKA - "red racer") and it is non-venomous (although it will bite)!  I have spotted the snake several times now as it "hangs out" behind the A.C. unit enjoying the sunshine and the probable food supply.  My husband is happy to have the pack rat population somewhat under control!  I have named the snake, "Whipper!"

Friends/Neighbors/Visitors - Friends and neighbors check in on me and have come to visit.  My neighbor even had surgery on her right hand (thumb) and is also in a sling (Photo is posted on Facebook).  I have been giving her support on using her non-dominant hand.  We are going to have a one-hand, non-dominant buttoning contest any day now!

Email -  Thanks goodness for email and communication with the outside world!




No comments:

Post a Comment